Saturday, January 21, 2017

24 in 48 Hour Twelve Challenge

Here is the challenge:

Thousands and thousand of women are marching in Washington, DC and across the country in local marches to protest our new administration. Women from all over are banding together to promote intersectional feminist ideals and demonstrate that together, we are stronger, and we’ve got no time for their ish. I wish I could be out there marching with all the badass ladies, but instead, I’ll be celebrating my favorite activists and feminists with some patriarchy-smashing reads. Your Hour Twelve challenge is this: in the comments, tell me either who you’d like to be marching with today or what feminist books you’re reading in solidarity?

And here is my response:

First today, as every day, I send all the love and strength and power that I have in this universe to my beautiful daughter.  Next, in direct response,

I have a coworker and a student marching in D.C., and an aunt marching in Charlotte, N.C. My primary read this weekend is LaRose by Louise Erdrich. While not necessarily considered a “feminist” writer, I can’t think of another who creates stronger, more inspiring female characters. In my to-read pile, I have Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood and The Meaning of Michelle by Veronica Chambers.

No comments:

Post a Comment